Location: Miami, Florida
Admin / Clerical
Serves as a link to services across the health system and precision medicine. Responsible for managing the entire experience of referred patients and families in all aspects of care before, during, or after an encounter at Nicklaus Children's Hospital. Interacts with and coordinates patients, physicians, laboratories, staff, community members, researchers, and healthcare professionals. Supports the operations, programs, and services of personalized and precision medicine. Promotes improved access to precision and personalized medicine services. Responsible for scheduling, registration, coordination, and documentation of precision medicine testing and consultations in the role of primary customer interface. Supports the training of providers and ongoing compliance.
Job Specific Duties
- Contacts new and existing patients to communicate consult requirements and requests patient registration form, medical records, and obtains completed consent forms.
- Supports the medical care by providing guidance & assistance, connecting the patient/family to a range of medical and non-medical services to ensure satisfaction with the hospital experience.
- Schedules and registers in-person and telehealth consults. Enters records and uploads images into patients’ medical records.
- Ensures requirements completion and connectivity success for telehealth visits before each consult.
- Completes post-consultation encounters documentation.
- Communicates with external clinical testing labs, and securely uploads required patient medical records to the clinical testing laboratory portals.
- Obtains and documents surveys from patients and providers. Provides the family and the patient with necessary paperwork and instructions.
- Assists with credentialing and training for physicians and other health care providers.
- Trains providers and support personnel on the processes and workflows.
- Documents and communicates plan of care for the patient; manages medical referrals and ongoing care.
- Provides or makes arrangements for interpreter services as requested by patient or family and in accordance with department and hospital policies.
- Investigates patient and family complaints and grievances and provides appropriate and timely response. Provides resolution of issues at point of service for patient and family.
- Works with staff on initiatives to improve the patient’s experience. Provides support during hospital stay or clinic visit.
- Informs patients and families of HIPAA guidelines, GINA coverage, risks and benefits of genetic testing and available clinical trials.
- Collaborates with staff to meet patient’s expectations and quality outcomes building of a patient focused culture.
- Coordinates appointments & admissions adhering to the special needs of the patient and interfaces with hospital staff to improve access to all institutional services in a timely & seamless manner.
- Manages medical referrals, ongoing care, and stewardship of multicultural clientele while providing efficient, culturally sensitive, and individualized services to multi-cultural patients.
- Participates in education, training, communication, and adherence to safety and quality programs.
- Maintains compliance with National Patient Safety Goals and licensure and health screenings.
- Proactively works to develop, manage, & sustain relationships with customer base, which includes patients, physicians, various referral sources, and overseeing the management of patient referrals.
- Assumes responsibility to evaluate and develop action plans for improving patient throughput and communications amongst multidisciplinary clinical and non-clinical teams.
Minimum Job Requirements
- Bachelor's Degree or 7 years of health care experience
- 4-7 years of relevant healthcare experience
- Bilingual in English/Spanish
- Prior work experience with culturally diverse patients
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Nursing experience preferred.
- Familiarity with critical care environment and compassionate demeanor with patients and families in distress.
- Experience with electronic medical records (EMR) and familiarity with clinical documentation in the healthcare industry.
- Ability to review medical records and extract relevant information.
- Exceptional customer service skills, resourcefulness, and sensitivity to diverse cultural norms and belief systems.
- Basic understanding of and ability to learn about principles of the genetic testing process, benefits, and risks.
- Ability to communicate diplomatically within a multi-functional team.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced critical care environment, meeting multiple deadlines.
- Excellent problem-solving in a broad range of areas (scheduling conflicts, communication problems, technology, etc.)
- Ability to adapt to the current technology and needs of all participants.
- Ability to effectively communicate technology and processes to patients, families, clinicians, and hospital staff.
- Excellent time management and organizational skills.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, & PowerPoint).
- Ability to maintain the confidentiality of sensitive information.
- Ability to remain calm under pressure with sound judgment while displaying a highly professional demeanor by applying critical thinking skills.
- Ability to work well in a complex environment with the skills to establish priorities, set objectives, and achieve goals.
Primary Location :
Florida-Miami-Nicklaus Children's Hospital - Main Hospital Campus
RI - PERSONALIZED MEDICINE-2100-380720